14 March 2014

Mediterranean Salad



This mediterranean salad is close to my heart. Both my grandfather and my favorite Italian Restaurant serve versions of this salad and it is not only simple but delicious!

Growing up my father would make us my grandfathers salad 'from the old country' (aka Croatia). Grandpa's salad consisted of cucumber, tomato, onion, vinegar, oil, + salt. It is a wonderful refreshing summer salad that I could never get tired of eating.

The Italian restaurant serves their mediterranean salad with cucumber, tomato, olive, goat cheese, and vinaigrette (A recipe I also mentioned here).

Today, when I walked outside to go grocery shopping the weather was beautiful sunny, warm, and everyone was out walking around. So of course a refreshing summer salad popped into my head. I varied from both recipes and came up with my own concoction, which of course was equally delicious and perhaps a touch healthier.

Ingredients:
1/2 cucumber
1 hand full of grape tomatoes
2 scallions
8-10 kalamata olives
10 basil leaves
1 small spoonful of balsamic reduction

Directions:
1. Chop all veggies
- cut tomatoes in 1/2 so they produce more liquid for dressing
2. Mix
3. drizzle with balsamic reduction (or your dressing of choice)

ENJOY!