16 March 2014

Art...Seeing is Believing

Source

I have been a Van Gogh fan for many many years now. He was the first artist that really caught my attention. He was also my inspiration for wanting to try painting to begin with. So you can imagine how stoked I was when I learned that there was going to be some Van Gogh (as well as some other post Impressionist artists) pieces at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco (this was a few years back). Apparently there was some construction going on where the pieces were typically housed, and the DeYoung was fortunate enough to get to hold onto them until their new home was completed. My mom is also a Van Gogh fan, and so we were off to the city.

I fell even deeper in love with Van Gogh (which I didn't think was possible) after seeing his extraordinary work in person. I even fell in love with pieces of his that I didn't like prior to seeing them in person. One of them being the above painting, I liked it so much I bought a print of it which hangs right by my bed. It really was an experience I will never forget.

 I highly suggest that if you get a chance go to your local art gallery and museum and soak up some works of art. You may very well learn to appreciate a piece of art you never liked before, or find a new appreciation for a piece you already do love, either way it really will do your soul some good.

Until next time...Cheers!!


Source

P.S. After writing this post I decided to search around to see if there were going to be any big art exhibits coming up in California. Coincidentally, there is indeed a big art exhibit coming up in California, not only is it in my state, but it is also going to be in San Francisco!! By big exhibit, I mean big names, masters of the arts: Monet, Degas, Cezanne, the list goes on for the artists whose work are going to be on exhibit at the Legion of Honor in SF. Check out their site for more info!