09 March 2014

Basil Pesto


The idea of making pesto came by complete and utter accident.
I bought fresh basil for another recipe (Mediterranean Salad) and had so much extra that I was perplexed. More than anything I hate waste, so I knew I had to figure out a way to use all of this basil. I froze some for a future recipe and the rest turned into this delicious, easy, homemade pesto sauce!

Ingredients
2 cups basil
1/2 cup walnuts (pine nuts or pecans)
1-3 cloves garlic
Olive oil to taste (+/- 1/4 cup)
Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Throw basil, walnuts, garlic, salt in food processor until blended
2. Drizzle olive oil in until the consistency is one you would like, thinner for a salad dressing, thicker for a bread spread.
3. Serve

I froze 1/2 of mine and keeping the other 1/2 in the fridge for toppings of rice, salad, pasta, bread.
The smell is so amazing it might be hard to wait.

ENJOY!



Links Here