20 March 2014

Slow Cookin' | Chili

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE my slow cooker! It just makes life so much easier, and the meals are delicious!! I decided to try to make chili, one of my favorites, in the slow cooker this time. I've made it plenty times before and it really wasn't that much different cooking it in the slow cooker vs. a pan, (at least the recipe I went by) except that the spices and sauce do have longer of an opportunity to really marinate without having to supervise it.

 The recipe I used for this chili was kind of a combination of recipes that I had seen online. I just kind of picked and chose different amounts for the ingredients/method from a few different recipes to come up with this one. I served homemade cornbread alongside the chili (which I of course topped with cheese!) 



I won't post the cornbread recipe I used as you can find it on a box of Alber's Cornmeal mix. But you can find a pretty tasty recipe for cornbread right here on BSOM!! Nelli posted this recipe for Banana Flax Corn muffins last Fall...check it! (I didn't have all the ingredients which is why I opted for the box recipe)  But without further ado...the chili recipe! :)


Chili: Slow Cooker Edition
Prep Time: 10 mins or so
Cook Time: 5-6 Hours (Low) 3-4 Hours (High)

Whatcha Need:
* 1 lb. Ground Beef
* 1/2 C. Onion, finely chopped
* 1 Clove garlic, finely chopped
* 1 Can (15 oz) Tomato sauce
* 1 Can (16 oz) Kidney beans
* 1 1/2-2 T. Chili Powder
* 1/4 t. Cumin
* 1/2 t. Red pepper flakes
* 1/4 t. S + P
* 1/2 C. Water

Method: 
- Cook ground beef + onion, drain + add to slow cooker
- Add remaining ingredients
- Slow cook at desired temp...Enjoy!

Tip(s) I have for this recipe:
** I used a 28 oz can of tomato sauce contradictory to what the recipe called for, if you are using the a 15 oz can I suggest using less water.
** We had leftovers for a couple of days and as leftovers can get boring you can opt to top your chili with cheese one night, or serve it on top of some hot dogs another night just to keep it interesting.

Healthy Modification: Now I don't claim to be a health guru, but as promised I will try to add any modifications I can think of in order to make any recipe I post somewhat "healthier." One potential little modification one could make would be to use lean ground turkey instead of ground beef. That's the only thing I could really think of to modify this one. Oh and you could maybe add a can of corn to get some veggies in there, and it would mix it up a bit.

My Verdict: Delicious recipe, definitely will be adding this bad boy to the recipe book!


Until next friends...Cheers!!

|Links|  P.S. We are looking for some foodies out there who have some recipes they'd like to share for a future food feature!! See our Contact page for more info!