22 March 2014

Blueberry Coconut Macaroons

If I haven't mentioned it before, coconut macaroons are far and away my favorite cookies, yet I haven't quite mastered making my own, that is until now...

My friend and I were having a 'stay-in and hang out' evening. He brought the wine, I brought the dessert. The question arose as to what should we have for dessert: chocolate, peanut butter, creamy, fruity... He suggested with go with coconut and fruit, I had my work orders. What would I create with coconut and fruit? After mulling over the options I came up with the idea for none other than coconut macaroons with blueberries inside; and thus began my google search for a vegan recipe I would enjoy. I found 2 different blogs from which I made my recipe, Smitten Kitchen + Chocolate Covered Katie. Smitten Kitchen has a recipe for raspberry coconut macaroons, which are essentially the same as what I was going for however she used eggs, sugar, and almond extract none of which I was interested in using (however I am sure they would be equally delicious as the photos look amazing!). And I found the recipe for four-minute coconut macaroons at Chocolate Covered Katie, which was closer to my end recipe and completely vegan.

Through my infinite baking wisdom and merging of recipes below is what I came up with, they are super simple to make and very flavorful!



Directions:
1. Prepare the chia egg
-- combine chia seeds + water and let sit in a cup/small bowl for 20 minutes, until gelatinous
2. Preheat oven to 350'
3. Put everything (minus the blueberries) in food processor, and pulse a few times.
4. Add the blueberries, and pulse a few more
5. If the texture is your desired (Able to form mounds without collapsing), scoop into mounds on cookie sheet
-- If mixture is too thin add small amounts of flour or coconut until desired.
-- If its too thick add a touch of milk.
6. Bake for 15 minutes until the tops are toasted + light brown.
7. Let cool + Enjoy