11 March 2014

Sweet Potato Mash + Roasted Veggies


I often have issues with my tummy, she is easily upset by foods which has led me to a continuous search for ways to improve digestion and settle my stomach. I recently read an article that said sweet potatoes are good for tummies, so the search began for a recipe for this evening.

My New Roots + Sprouted Kitchen two of my favorite food blogs, recently posted Big Comfy Sweet Potato + Spiced Sweet Potato and Chickpeas recipes which looks delicious and inspired me to roast the sweet potato. I was planning to roast some veggies as a side and enjoy the whole kit n caboodle.... Only I had a major road block, I could not cut the sweet potato when it was raw, which meant I could not roast the thing. In my utter wisdom I decided to mash it instead, and so my new favorite recipe was born!

Ingredients
1 large sweet potato
1 granny smith apple
2-3 carrots
2-3 celery stalks
3 scallions
4-8 cloves of garlic

Dressing
1 tbsp olive oil
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp honey
splash of cinnamon
sprinkle of nutmeg
salt to taste

Directions:
1. Boil sweet potato, this will take +/- 45 minutes
2. Create Dressing: combine ingredients and stir with fork
3. Cut up veggies + Toss with dressing
4. Place veggie mixture into a pan + bake at 400' for about 30 minutes.
5. When sweet potato is ready (When you can pierce with a fork easily), place into a large bowl and mash with fork. Add olive oil + spices of your choosing for flavor.
6. Serve:
-- I made a bed of mashed sweet potato + placed a generous helping of the veggie mixture atop.

Tips:
Cooking apples this long makes them mushy, which I found out through this recipe but I enjoyed it. Both the apple and garlic were 'spreadable' so i was able to mash it a little with my fork so the flavor evenly coated my meal. The tartness of the apple with the honey, garlic, and onions was a very happy accident.

Yield: 2 meals