06 March 2014

Caramelized Leek, Basil, + Black Pepper Biscuits

My friend Nathan and I have been comparing recipes for awhile now, particularly recipes for baked goods, always bantering about whether baking vegan or normal is better. As you all know everything I bake is vegan, while everything Nathan bakes contains the traditional recipe ingredients. This led us to a collaboration where he makes a traditional recipe and I 'veganize' it. Thus began the search for a delicious looking recipe made more difficult as it needed to be something we both wanted to try. This led me to stumble upon the blog Pastry Affair, which has quickly become one of my new favorites! I found her recipe for Caramelized Leek, Basil & Black Pepper Biscuits which looked beyond amazing & a must try!

Nathan, like Noonie, lives in California. So regrettably we were unable to taste each others delectable treats, but we were together in spirit + his look like they turned out amazing!




Directions:
1. Finely slice leeks.
2. Sauté leeks in olive oil until golden + remove from heat
3. Preheat oven to 425'
4. In a bowl mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, pepper)
5. Cut in the butter until mixture is clumpy (like a coarse sand)
6. Mix basil + leeks into flour mixture
7. Pour in cream + milk until combined (gradually)
8. Mix (or lightly knead) until it forms into a ball (coat your hands with flour first)
9. Place on parchment paper (on top of cookie sheet), flatten to 1-inch thick.
10. Using a knife dipped in flour cut the dough into evenly sized pieces.
11. Space evenly on sheet + back for 15-18 minutes.

Yield:
Vegan - 20 small biscuits
Original - 8 full sized biscuits

Tips:
If you're going to make your biscuits as small as mine (the vegan option) bake on the lower end. I would say 13-15 minutes. I baked mine for about 17 minutes and they were a touch overdone.

These have to be one of my favorite things that I have baked yet, so I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!





Vegan
Vegan
Vegan
Original
Original
Original