28 September 2014

Dream Job.


Since my recent move to San Francisco, much of my time has been spent job hunting, reading about jobs, writing cover letters, researching companies, finding events, and and and....
However, until today it didn't occur to me to figure out first 'what am I passionate about' + 'what is my dream job'?

After reading through some articles at www.idealist.org I realized I needed to think about these a little bit, and maybe I should have considered some of this before my 75+ applications have gone out, but better late than never.

I have started with trying to identify what am I passionate about...
history of cities + architecture
cities
structures
details
health
food
baking
ideas
creativity
questioning : why don't others ask as many questions as I do?
science
the universe
saving money
humans
happiness

Anyhow, the second part is more complicated : What is my dream job?
This article poses 9 questions you should ask yourself to figure out what your dream job is, and here are my answers:
  1. If I could choose one friend to trade jobs with, I’d choose Amber, because she seems happy every day.
  2. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to do be a politician. It’s interesting to me because you have so much power and ability to do good.
  3. If I had the right education or skill set, I’d definitely try to open a bakery + coffee shop, because I would have the ability to make someone happy every day, picking up that muffin and coffee each morning makes my entire day more enjoyable and I can only imagine it is the same way for others.
  4. If I had to go back to school tomorrow, I’d major in Croatian + Baking School, because I want to live in Croatia one day + I love baking. I would still choose Urban Planning as a major before any other (which is what my degree is in).
  5. My co-workers and friends always say I’m great at dissecting problems and understanding people, because I can read them on a level that most others cannot, and because I listen.
  6. The thing I love most about my current job is the capacity to create change, because I want to improve the world, I want no person to go hungry, I want not person to feel unloved, I want no person to feel worthless.
  7. If my boss would let me, I’d do more talking, because I like to hear everyones story, each story lets me experience a piece of life that I never have before, it is like reading a book or escaping into another reality; this love of listening to people allows me to combine their life experiences with mine, and give advice to others.
  8. If I had a free Saturday that had to be spent “working” on something, I’d choose working at a vineyard, as a barista, or exploring a new city, because they all have skills I've always wanted to possess, all of these jobs seem fun and artistic, and would allow me to continuously learn.
  9. When I retire, I want to be known for making someone happy + being a good human + making people's lives better + for my baked goods, because I feel like I would have no purpose on this earth if I couldn't make an impression on the hearts of others; and of course cookies are a good way to accomplish that!
Now that I have answered the requisite of questions, lets find your dream career!
I am not sure if I am any closer to figuring it out, but I definitely have a better idea!

Cheers!
-Nelli