18 September 2014

Cauliflower Falafel

My love of falafel, cumin, tahini, and middle eastern food continues with this experiment. Falafels are one of my favorite things to pack for snacks (or lunch) because they are so easy to carry around. I use one of my glass jars and stack the little guys inside. They are so flavorful that I often eat them plain, but they would also be great if you wanted to create a sandwich or wrap and use them as the "meat" substitute. Either way, you can't go wrong.



Directions:
1. Use the cheese grater blade for the food processor and chop carrots and onion.
2. Change blades to the normal blade and chop the cauliflower.
3. Add wet ingredients into food processor with cauliflower and carrot mixture. Blend until combined.
- note: if you have a smaller food processor like I do you might need to just use half the cauliflower mixture and add the remaining by hand)
4. Transfer to a bowl and add flour, flax, and any other dry ingredients. (If you have a large good processor you can do everything in the there)
- if the mixture is too wet add more flour or starch, if it's too dry more olive oil or water
5. Add heaping spoonfuls to a well greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes (or until golden brown)
6. Flip falafels and bake for another 15 minutes. I also push them down a little at this point to make them flat on each side.
7. Remove and enjoy

Yield: a lot! +/- 40
Tips: if I were to do it again I would half the recipe as I made too many. But they also freeze well so that is where my extras are currently residing.