09 September 2013

Home Cookin'

Caesar salad, Ravioli & Garlic bread.
Quick, easy & delicious! 
   
Bad habits are hard to break. Especially when it comes to food. Although I don't eat fast food, I have been eating out for dinner a lot. I don't mind cooking, but just got into the bad habit of always going out for a bite. I remember when I was a kid I'd always say "when I grow up I'm going out to eat every night for dinner", and I did for a while but it gets old quick. Nothing is more satisfying than a home cooked meal. I really enjoy cooking for my boyfriend and I, but I guess I forgot just how much satisfaction I really do get from it. Especially to have dinner all ready for us when he gets home, we get to catch up over a warm meal on our own dining room table, it's a lot more comfortable and makes for better one on one time.

So a few days ago I decided to put my foot down against eating out. My boyfriend and I headed to the grocery store and got all stocked up for our in home meals. So far we've had breakfast for dinner, Tacos, and last night Ravioli. My boyfriend eats out for lunch every day, and I'm putting my foot down on that too, because he does he fast food (If you've never seen the movie "Food Inc." watch it, and believe me you won't want to eat fast food either). So I've been making him lunch to take to work so he won't be forced to eat any "Death Donalds", as I like to call it.

Not only is preparing our own meals better for us, but we are also saving money. Eating out gets expensive. It is at least $20 for our meals when we go out to eat versus spending less than $10 for an entire meal made in house. Plus I know what is going into our food. I've worked in the food business and I know first hand how lazy and dirty some people are, and they are handling food. So I get peace of mind as well.

I know many people say that they "don't have the time" to cook a home cooked meal every night, and I do understand that. But where there's a will there's a way. Just Google "10 Minute Meals", you don't have to spend hours in the kitchen to get good results! A good strategy that may for some you is to have all of the ingredients prepped (cut, washed etc.) so you don't have to spend much time in the kitchen after a long day, and you can just get down to the good part... cooking! 

One thing I used to really struggle with is cooking ideas. I know how to make lots of different types of dishes, but you can only eat the same thing so many times. So I hit the Internet, there are a ton of awesome recipe websites. My favorite secret weapon as far as recipes and ideas go is Pinterest! I'm a visual kind of person and Pinterest works great for me! I get to scroll through thousands of delicious looking meals and just "pin it" to my Grub Board for later reference.

There are so many advantages to home cooking, even if you really don't have the time for it challenge yourself to cook at least 1 meal at home a week. You'll be happier, and so will your wallet.

                                                        Until next time..Cheers!