04 September 2013

Baked Kale Falafel

Since moving to NYC one of my favorite go-to meals are falafel and hummus; so after 4 years I figured it was high time I gave it a go!

Aside from the fact that both falafel and hummus are super simple to make, I can also improve on the health and quality of the product when making myself. 

I began, as I often do, by scanning the web for healthy variations on traditional dishes, then I slightly modify them. For this recipe I used Nutritionist in the Kitch's Baked Falafel recipe:

Baked Falafel
Kale (I used about 1/2 the bushel)
1 can chickpeas
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons tahini
1 lemon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tablespoon flour
sea salt & pepper to taste

Throw it all into the food processor and blend until smooth (but not too smooth), I began with the chickpeas & all of the spices and added the kale last and in small amounts as to blend more evenly. Once blended I took about a spoons worth of the batter, rolled it into a ball, and placed it onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake on 375 for 20 minutes, turn, bake another 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool, and enjoy!

One easy (and in my opinion necessary) side dish to falafel is hummus. While the falafels baked, I prepared the hummus. I got this recipe from Noonie's padre, its very simple and delicious!

Sam's Hummus
1 can chickpeas
1/2 - 1 lemon (to taste)
Olive oil (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Tahini (optional & to taste)
Greek Yogurt (makes it creamy, optional, & to taste)

*If you're vegan or allergic to seeds exclude the last 2 items, 
while they ad an amazing flavor they are not 'necessary' to making a good hummus*

Throw all ingredients into food processor (or blender - which takes much longer), and blend until its at a consistency you enjoy. I like mine very smooth and creamy so I blend for awhile, and add a bit of yogurt which is such a nice touch!
Remove from food processor, transfer to container, and store in fridge. Should last 4-7 days depending if you add yogurt and how quick you eat it up.

Street Faire in Astoria

Ingredients (+ Tahini - not pictured)

Hummus

The little guys themselves!

Lunch: Homemade Falafel, Homemade Hummus, Homemade Cabbage Slaw, Yogurt, Done!

Tomorrow, I'll be posting the recipe for the Cabbage slaw (as seen in bottom photo).