05 September 2013

Cabbage-Carrot Slaw


Lately my weekly habits have tended towards making large quantities of food on Sunday night that will last me through the week. This weeks food creations were Falafel, Hummus, and this delicious Cabbage-Carrot Slaw.

The falafel and hummus I had been planning for awhile, but this creation was no-where near my radar! I was browsing through one of my favorite blogs My New Roots when I came upon this beautiful Purple Power Salad that fit what I was searching for. She made this recipe for a picnic, and I made it for my lunch. One major mistake (or perhaps perk) of mine was my lack of thinking. I didn't consider just how much this recipe would yield until after I made it. Of course the size of the salad will depend upon how large each ingredient is, but in my case I could only eat about 1/2 of what I actually made. The rest has been pawned off onto my (willing and adventurous) friends + co-workers; each of which told me how much they enjoyed it!

Cabbage-Carrot Slaw
Slaw
1 head of cabbage
1 bunch of carrots
1 cup of mint (about 1/2 a bushel)
1 cup chopped dried figs
1 cup pumpkin seeds 
(could substitute any seeds/nuts/dried fruit you have handy, however this combo is delish!)

Dressing
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
1 (to 3) Tbsp. Honey
1 Clove garlic
2 Tsp. Ground Cumin
2 Tsp. Water
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp. Salt
(if you would like a sweeter dressing add more honey)

Directions:
In food processor use grater-disk (the one that looks like a cheese grater) put in the carrots & cabbage.
Transport the chopped veggies into a large bowl and add seeds, figs, and mint; combine.
In a separate bowl whisk together dressing ingredients. 

If you plan on serving this to a large crowd simply add the dressing to the salad and combine, however, if you're like me and you're eating this on a more daily basis keep the dressing and slaw separate until you're ready to eat it.
I separated the slaw into individual containers and stored in my fridge. Each morning while I'm packing my lunch I add a little of the dressing to the slaw and shake it before placing it into my lunch box. Keeping the two in different containers prolongs the shelf-life of the slaw.

If you're looking for a side-dish that is light, colorful, healthy, and delicious look no further!