03 February 2014

Why Children's Books Matter


Last week I had family visiting, and with the polar vortex currently encompassing New York City we tried to do inside activities rather than outdoor. This led us to a tour of the NYPL (New York Public Library) which I often take visitors to. I showed them around the Why We Fight: Remembering AIDS Activism Exhibit, which I wrote about 2 weeks ago, and afterwards I stumbled upon The ABC's of It: Why Children's Books Matter.

I have to admit that I went into this exhibit with low expectations, but upon entering I was impressed. The exhibit brought back childhood memories of reading and it was so cute and interactive for children. So many of the books featured I forgot about, like Harold and the Purple Crayon + The Poky Little Puppy. They also featured changes in children's books, for instance the language used 30+ years ago is very different than today and many children's books have been modified and photos blacked out.

If you live in the NYC area I highly recommend this, for children + ADULTS!

Harold + the Purple Crayon

White Rabbit: Alice in Wonderland

All the Wild Things