21 February 2014

Dahl's Magic


Remember this?!
As children we all went through our fair share of phases, from being obsessed with our Segas, to loving our Barbies (to take it even further back). I definitely had my share of love affairs with certain toys, stuffed animals, games, etc. growing up but the one that always stuck with me was my obsession with reading. Some of my first memories involve me reading, and trips to the library. I clearly remember one specific occasion my mom took me to the public library, I was about 7 years old or so, and as soon as we walked thru those big library doors I exclaimed something to the effect of "it's like heaven in here". Clearly I loved my books.

I'm sure I started out as most kids do reading Dr. Seuss books, somewhere in there came along "Where the Wilds Things Are" and "The Giving Tree", all which became some of my all time favorites. But the author who really stole my heart as a child was a Mr. Roald Dahl who would become my lifetime favorite author. I soaked up each and everyone of his children's books up, there was just something so magical about them, and to this day for that matter.


The B.F.G.

As time went on and I became a teenager my days began to be filled with other activities and not so much reading anymore unless it was a requirement for a class. Then came adulthood which as you all know involves work, school, and other responsibilities leaving little time for anything else including reading. But as fate has it, I now have a lot more time on my hands as my health problems have me home ridden for now, and I despise watching television. This has lead me to rekindle my love affair with reading, which in turn has lead me to ordering some new books! Roald Dahl books that is!

The "Phizz-Whizzing Collection"

I found this lovely box set of Roald Dahl books on Amazon.com for about $50 bucks, which really ain't bad considering it includes 15 of his books, and a cute little box to hold them all in. Definitely stoked when this bad boy was on my door steps! Dahl's books are even better than I had remembered (which I didn't think was possible!) I definitely have a deeper appreciation for his work and the illustrations that can be found in his books now that I'm older. Although I am older now they are still as much fun to read now as they were back in the day. It's funny how certain things stick with you throughout life.

On another note, if you live in NYC you can go experience children's books in an interactive way! Nelli wrote a blog a few weeks back telling of her recent experience at an exhibit all about children's books called "Why Children's Books Matter", looks like a lot of fun!! :)


So tell me...What was your favorite book as a child?

Until next time...Cheers!

P.S. I randomly found this quiz online called "Which Roald Dahl Character Are You?" 

I got Matilda! lol :)