22 February 2014

Kale + Avocado Salad


Kale is by far my favorite green for making an at home salad, and I just realized how much cheaper it is to buy loose leaf rather than buying a pre-washed, pre-packaged bunch of kale. The bunch below (which has made me 5 salads) cost $0.87, whereas the pre-packaged kind is $3.99-$4.99.

Avocado is another of my favorite fruits. My new favorite thing is buying the cheap and unripe avocado (this one was $1.00), which I place into the cabinet for 2 days, pull out, open, and look at its beautiful green glory.

This salad should really be called something like "Mean Green" but....

Ingredients:
3-5 Leaves Kale
1/2 Avocado
1/2 Zucchini
1 Scallion
Olive Oil
Salt
Greek Spices
Balsamic Reduction (topper)

Directions:
1. Wash and rip kale. I rip mine into bite sized pieces so I know I won't bite down on a huge unbearable piece.
2. Prep veggies: cut zucchini, scallions, score avocado
3. In a large bowl place kale, olive oil (just a splash), salt, and spices. Massage with hands.
- I only use one hand, and just rub it until everything has been coated and mixed up
4. Mix in Veggies
5. Plate (or keep in bowl for less clean up)
6. Drizzle with balsamic reduction

Tips:
Feel free to add or remove any of these items that you please, make it your own, and most of all, ENJOY IT!