24 February 2014

Ehh...Whats Up Doc?



Join me for a slice?

Carrot cake. Homemade carrot cake. That's what's up. Made my first carrot cake the other day, and it turned out juusttt riigghtt. So of course I had to share...
 
As I mentioned  I never had made a carrot cake prior to the other day, but I had almost an entire of bag of baby carrots that needed to be eaten asap before they were going to have to be tossed and so the idea of a carrot cake was born. I initially planned on making the cake in my slow cooker, but I realized after I had all my ingredients together that I didn't have a loaf pan small enough to fit into my slow cooker and so the oven it was.

I found the recipe for this cake on AllRecipes.com, and because it was my first time making it I didn't realize I would end up with as much batter as I did. So it was time to improvise once more and make a two layered cake. But I guess I should back up a little, I am getting ahead of myself. Let's talk about how I put the batter together.


Heavenly Carrot Cake
Prep Time: 30 mins or so
Bake Time: 40-50 mins

Whatcha Need
-4 Eggs
-1 1/4 cups Veggie oil
-2 cups White Sugar
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-2 cups Flour
-2 teaspoons Baking Powder
-2 teaspoons Baking Soda
-1/2 teaspoon Salt
-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
-3 cups Grated carrots
-1 cup Chopped nuts
(optional)
-Raisins
(optional)

Method
-Preheat oven to 350
-Grease your 9x13 pans
-Beat eggs, oil, sugar, and vanilla
-Mix in flour,baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
-Stir in carrots + fold in nuts/raisins, pour mix into pans
-Bake for 40-50 mins
-Leave cake in pan to cool for about 10 mins  then remove to cool completely
-Frost that bad boy up with some cream cheese frosting, toss a few nuts on top for a garnish and ENJOY!

My grater was hungry for finger that day.
My least favorite part about making this cake? The grating of the carrots. Just when ya think you've grated enough...you've gotta grate some more! It's the most time consuming step of the process other than the baking part of course. I suggest using large carrots rather than baby carrots so you don't have to deal with getting down to the little numbs as often which = lesser chance of grating your finger! Take my advice. As I mentioned I happened to have the baby carrots which is the only reason why I used them.  
Only took 1/2 of a day to grate this bowl.
(yes that's a joke)
My ingredients station.
Adding my dry ingredients to the mix.
Now we're getting some where!
Sprinkled some nuts on top for good measure :)
Getting frosted!
In all its glory.

Double layered goodness!
Healthy Modification: As promised I will try to add any modifications I can think of in order to make any recipe I post somewhat "healthier." To be honest there was really only one modification I could think of that could possibly make this recipe healthier and that would be to add little to no sugar and maybe substitute something else for the eggs such as apple sauce. I mean come on this is cake.

My Verdict: Although I hadn't initially planned on a double layered cake I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! Super tasty recipe the only thing I would do differently next time is to add more nuts! Definitely will be making another one of these bad boys soon as this one is already almost gone!! 

Until next time friends...Cheers!!

P.S. We are looking for some foodies out there who have some recipes they'd like to share for a future food feature!! See our Contact page for more info!