16 February 2014

Honey Roasted Chickpeas



These tasty treats were inspired by this recipe for Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas over at Pastry Affair. I have been wanting to make roasted chickpeas for some time now, but never got around to it. This recipe rekindled my desire & now here we are.

They are tasty little treats so you might want to make alot of them.

Ingredients:
Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
Olive Oil
Honey
Cinnamon
Salt (optional)

Directions:
The prep for these is very similar to that of my Kettle Corn Parsnips.
I used dried chickpeas so I'll begin with the prep for those....
1. Soak dried chickpeas for 8 hours
2. Boil chickpeas for 1 hour on medium heat
3. Strain + rinse with cold water
4. Dry (lay down a paper towel on a flat surface, place damp chickpeas on top, place another paper towel above and roll around until dry)
5. In a bowl combine spices to taste
(I did not measure any of this, I threw everything in until I liked the flavor)
6. Toss chickpeas in mixture until coated
7. Bake at 400 for 30-45 minutes (this will depend on your oven, mine took 45)
7a. You will know they are done with they are no longer soggy inside, but not too crunchy. My first batch I left in too long, so if they are still soggy check them every few minutes until they are a desired texture.
8. Remove from heat, place into a bowl & coat with a small spoonful of honey
9. Place on a plate and let cool