20 January 2014

Banana-Coconut Oatmeal Muffin Tops


Some of my favorite baked goods are:
Banana Bread
Coconut Macaroons
Oatmeal Cookies

So when I stumbled upon this recipe over on Vegan Richa I couldn't help but give them a go. I modified the recipe a little as I do with most recipes I test, but they are never the less delicious!

Before you get started, keep in mind that these are not the consistency of a cookie, but are more like a muffin or muffin top. The banana will keep them moist, the oatmeal + flax seed will make them healthy, and the coconut + sugar make them delicious.

Ingredients:
2 tsp. flax meal
2 tbs. hot water
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
2 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. raw turbinado sugar (or honey)
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tbs. orange juice (fresh)
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup coconut
dried cranberries (as needed)

Directions:
1. Mix flax meal and hot water, let sit for 5 minutes
2. Make oat flour: out 1/2 cup of oats into food-processor and blend until it becomes a coarse flour
3. Mash bananas (in separate bowl)
4. To the flax add: oil, sugar, spice, salt, orange juice, and mashed banana. Stir.
5. Add the oats + flours to the mixture. Stir.
6. Add coconut +/or dried cranberries to taste. Stir.
7. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper (or grease sheet) and spoon on mixture to desired size.
8. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes

Yield:
I made these cookies the size of one spoonful, which made 16.

Tips:
The dough is very sticky when you're mixing, and they are dense (doughy) after baking.
I am glad I made them on the smaller size as they are quite dense, but they have a ton of flavor, and will be a great breakfast for me this week!

ENJOY!