12 November 2014

Arab Meal 101: Manaeesh | Za'atar + Olive Oil 'Pies'




I've been wanting to share this next recipe with ya for a while now for a couple of reasons: 1) it's one of my favorite Arabic snacks/breakfast item + I like to share recipes from my culture! + 2) it literally takes 10 minutes to make including prep + bake time! I'm talking about a little something we Arabs call Manaeesh aka Za'atar pies aka flaky savory goodness! I've talked about Za'atar in the past here on BSOM but for those of you who missed it let me catch ya up on exactly what it is...! 

Za'atar is an Arabic spice that one could describe as kind of a tangy + savory. It typically consists of Roasted Sesame Seeds, Sumac, Thyme, Oregano + Salt, although there are a few variations here + there on the mix. I usually get my Za'atar fix from my local Mediterranean store, but I'm sure an international grocery store will probably have it as it's a popular spice in the Arab world. If you don't feel like buying it just to try it you can always make your own at home, although I haven't personally tried making my own I found this recipe online. Seems pretty legit. Anyways you're goin need some Za'atar for the recipe I'm about to share!





Ingredients:
* Biscuits
* 1/4 C. Olive Oil
* 6-8 T. Za'atar
* Note: The ingredients above are approximate. (See below)

How To:
* Preheat oven according to biscuit directions

* Unwrap biscuits + flatten dough down onto a cookie sheet

* In a small bowl mix together Olive Oil + Za'atar
(Be sure there's more Za'atar than Olive Oil as you don't want the mix too runny)

* Spoon mix on top of flattened biscuits

* Place in oven + bake about 8 minutes

* Serve warm + enjoy!

I've been enjoying these ever since I was a kid + I know you're goin' love them just as much I do! They do make great snacks, but I personally like to eat them for breakfast alongside a cup of hot tea! :) 


Until next time friends...Cheers!!!

<3 Noonie



PS: If you enjoyed this recipe check out some of my other favorite Arab dishes: 
Arab Meal 101: Bamya | Okra + Beef Stew