18 November 2014

Squash + Black Bean Enchiladas

This particular evening I was feeling adventurous and wanted to try out a new + more adventurous dinner when I came across Sprouted Kitchen's Roasted Zucchini, Black Bean, + Goat Cheese Enchiladas. As per the usual, I modified her recipe based on what I had in my house; but boy were these enchilada fantastic!
They turned out much much better than I had imagined.
This was my first time making enchiladas, I was surprised at how easy they were to create. They were time consuming as I roasted the squash + used dried beans, however, I don't mind things like that. I often roast my veggies or cook my beans while working on other projects so I don't even feel like I am cooking, plus I feel like preparing these on my own results in a better overall flavor. 

Continuing on my exploration of food I picked up a delicata squash and used it for this recipe. These squash have quickly become my new favorite! For a little more on winter squash varietals here is an explanation from Suzie's Farm.




Directions:
1. soak beans 6+ hours: place 1 cup of dried beans in a large bowl + submerge with water
-- your beans will double-triple in size
2. rince beans
3. boil beans: place beans in a pot, submerge with water, bring to a boil, then cover + simmer for about 2 hours. Do not add salt to water.
MEANWHILE...
4. Preheat oven to 425'
5. Chop squash into small pieces, not much larger than a bean; place on a baking tray; drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, + salt; toss to coat; place inside oven until edges are brown (about 20 minutes); remove + let cool.
TURN OVEN DOWN TO 375'
6. Prep the bean mixture: 
-- combine onion, black beans, + 3/4 of the goatcheese
7. Prep the baking dish: use a rectangular dish and pour a generous portion of your enchilada sauce onto the bottom (no more than 1/2 the package)
8. Over a burner, lightly brown your tortillas (+/- 1 minute per side), fill with generous amounts of the 2 mixtures, roll them tightly, and place in the dish with the seam side down.
-- I would fill the tortillas + char the next one at the same time. If you are not coordinated you can do them all at once and stack them on top of each other to maintain the heat between them
9. Pour remaining sauce over the tops of the enchiladas + sprinkle with goat cheese 
-- you will want to use ample sauce as it will evaporate while baking
10. Bake for 20 minutes
11. Top with avocado, cilantro, or whatever you like + enjoy!

Yield: 10 enchiladas / 5 servings

Tips: 
As it turned out I had enough veggies + beans to make at least 5-10 more enchiladas, however, I did not have enough tortillas, so if you follow this recipe I would recommend you purchase/make about 20 enchiladas OR turn your leftovers into a salad + bean dip like I did!

Since I kept the squash + beans separate during the rolling process I was able to store them separate as well. The next day I put the squash over greens with a little olive oil for a delectable lunch. As for the beans, I put the bean mixture (beans, onion, cheese) into a food processor + turned it into bean dip for a snack the following days. Served with some tortilla chips this concoction was superb!