24 May 2014

Arab Meal 101: Kofta b'tahini (Meat w/ Tahini)





Ever since I posted Arab Breakfast 101 + realized how much you fine folks loved it I've been meaning to share some more yummy Arab recipes that my family has enjoyed ever since I was a kid right here on BSOM. Well the time has come so here are are, allow me to introduce you to....Kofta b'tahini, or Kofta for short. 

I know the mere title of this may sound a little daunting, but it literally translates to "meat with tahini" + it's actually a really simple dish to put together. Kofta b'tahini is an Arab (specifically Jordanian) traditional dish, it's our version of a "meat + potatoes" kinda meal. It consists of a layer of ground beef, topped with fried potatoes +  a tahini sauce. For those of you out there not familiar with tahini it's basically just a Sesame seed paste, which can be purchased at any Mediterranean store or International market. If you don't want to buy a jar of it just to try it out, you can make your own tahini right at home. Although I have never made my own tahini I found this recipe online for it which seemed pretty legit + super easy to make (a 2 ingredient recipe). Grab your tahini along with the other ingredients below and let's make some Arabic food!

I should mention there are many variations on this dish, but this is how I've enjoyed it all of these years. I should also mention yes I've eaten Kofta since I was a kid + I had some idea of how it was made, but I had never actually made this myself until today! Good ol' mom volunteered to show us how to make this yummy dish, so THANK YOU MOM! :) Since she has made this dish so many times over the years she doesn't measure anything out, so we're goin' eye this one, we're a big fan of 'season to taste' in my family!

Kofta b'tahini  
Prep Time: 10 mins
Bake Time: 40 mins or so

Whatcha Need

* Ground Beef
* Salt + Peppa
* Chopped Onion
* Lemon Juice
* Sliced Potatoes
* Tahini
* White Rice

Lets Make it

* Mix up the meat, S+P + Onion

* Lay down the meat into a 13x9 pan


* Place pan in preheated 325 oven for about 10 mins, once meat is browned on one side,
 flip it + bake another 10 mins or until meat is thoroughly cooked

* While meat is baking slice whole potatoes + fry until they are about 1/2 way cooked,
you basically want them soft + lightly browned + drained
(You can also start your rice while the meat + potatoes are doing their thing)




* Once your meat + potatoes are done, place a layer of potatoes on top of the meat



* Now it's time to bust out the Tahini!

* You'll want enough of this sauce to cover the top of the meat + potatoes

* Warm up the Tahini + lemon juice + water on the stove
You'll want a ratio of about 1/4 Cup Tahini to about 1 Cup of water
As far as an amount for the lemon juice...this dish is supposed to be tangy!
We Arabs LOVE our lemon juice so don't skimpin' on the lemon juice if you want that authentic Arab taste!  
Mix WILL be thin at first, but just keep warming it up + it will thicken up for ya



* Pour Tahini mix on top of meat + potatoes,
place pan back in the oven bake for about 20 mins




* Serve on top of a bed of rice + enjoy!




I've been enjoying this exact dish ever since I was a kid + I hope you enjoy it too!

Until next time friends...Cheers!

<3 Noonie



PSST: If you enjoyed this post check out one of my other favorite Arab dishes: 



Includes photos + my family recipes! <3