24 November 2014

Noonie's | Chicken Fried Steak





Uhm, yes please. Love me some Chicken Fried Steak! All smothered in gravy goodness, ooohhh wwweeee! lol. (I mean CFS is a Southern food so I'm just tryin' to get into it lol) Although I've obviously eaten CFS plenty of times over the years I've only ever actually eaten while dining out at a restaurant. Never had I ever (ha) had the pleasure of eating homemade CFS, that is up until recently. When I went looking for an exact recipe to use I found a couple of variations of pretty much the same basic recipe. + so I decided to combine a couple of recipes that I found + made my own by adding/subtracting a couple of ingredients that I thought the recipe could use. This dish turned out to be everything I wanted it to be + more, which is a rarity in life, so needless to say I was a pretty damn happy lady after sitting down + enjoying it. I know you're goin' love it too. 


Grab your ingredients + let's get a cookin'! :)




Noonie's 
Chicken Fried Steak w/ Country Gravy

Whatcha Need:

* 1 lb. Ground Beef
* 1/4 C. - 1/2 C. Onion, minced
* 1 Clove Garlic, minced
* 1/2 t. - 3/4 t. Red Pepper Flakes
* 1 T. Black Pepper
* 2 t. - 1 T. Salt 
* 1/2 t. - 1 t. Thyme
* 1/2 C. Flour
* 1/2 t. Baking Soda
* 3 Eggs
* 3 T. Vegetable Oil

Gravy:
* 1 T. Butter
* 3 T. Flour
* 1 C. Milk
* Hot Sauce, optional
(If you want your CFS to have a little extra kick to it 
add a splash of hot sauce to the gravy as it's cookin')

Note: I love to drown my CFS in gravy so I doubled this recipe!


How To: 
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, onion, garlic, RPF, 1/3 t. Pepper, 1/3 t. Salt + 1 egg

- Divide meat into 4 + flatten into thin patties

- Place patties into a hot skillet + cook until browned, about 5-6 mins per side

- Place cooked patties on a paper towel + remove skillet from heat for a minute,
be sure to leave browned drippings in the skillet!

- In a bowl large enough to fit your patties, 
mix 1/3 t. Pepper, 1/3 t. Salt, Thyme, flour + baking soda

- In a separate bowl that's also large enough to fit the patties, whisk 2 eggs

- Heat up the vegetable oil in the same  skillet that contains the drippings over medium heat


- Dip both sides of your patties first into the flour mix + then into the egg mix, repeat @ least 3-4 times to ensure you get a good thick coating onto the meat

- Placed coated meat into the hot oil + fry until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side

- Set aside cooked burgers + let's make some gravy real quick!

- Spoon away excess vegetable oil from skillet

- Melt butter in skillet + whisk in flour + milk

- While gravy is cooking add 1/3 t. Pepper + 1/3 t. salt

- Cook gravy until it thickens, about 4 mins or so



Plate up your CFS, smother it with gravy + enjoy! 


Like I said this recipe pumped out some seriously delicious CFS! I really liked the gravy too! It tasted super good on top of the mashed potatoes I served alongside this dish, + I think it'd be perfect topped on some biscuits too! Love dishes that are versatile + can be eaten anytime of day + in my book CFS with Country gravy is right on top of the list! :) Okay I'm done now.

Until next time friends...Cheers!!!

<3 Noonie