15 August 2014

Artist State of Mind: Jessica |Painter|

If you're regular here at BSOM  you might have noticed a lack of guest features aka Blog-orations as of lately, but that my friends is about to change! I'm so stoked to introduce to you a multi-talented artist by the name of Jessica. I found Jessica randomly on Instagram as her art immediately caught my attention + I have been a fan since. So you can only imagine how excited I was when she agreed to be featured right here on BSOM! 

Meet Jessica!

BSOM: What artist do you feel as influenced or inspired you the most?


Jessica: I would have to give you a top three; God, my grandmother and Bob Ross. God because I feel as though he is the master artist and in my world he is the reason I have anything to draw inspiration from. My grandmother without even realizing it, showed me how organic and natural art could be. She wasn't professionally  trained or even thought of her drawings as art, it was just something she did. It was and still is as if its just a part of her DNA. Her inspiration helps me to remember that art shouldn't be pressured or forced, it just is what it is. Then there's Bob Ross, he is someone I would watch on television as a child who has always loved art. I was amazed at how effortlessly he could transform a blank canvas into a masterpiece in the show's timespan. My first oil painting was an attempted replica of one of his.



Jessica's 1st oil painting inspired by Bob Ross


BSOM: What types of art do you prefer?


J: I prefer all types of art. From visual to performing and especially culinary arts. Anything that requires creativity is preferred.

 BSOM: When you first began creating art, what medium did you experiment with first?

J: While in high school I signed up for art class and I experimented with acrylic first and then oil.



BSOM: What is your favorite medium to use + why?

J: My favorite would have to be oil paint because I love how easy it is to blend colors and it makes paining so fluid.

BSOM: What creative medium would you love to pursue but haven't yet? 

J: I really want to try pigment sticks; man the colors are just so vibrant.



She not only paints but sculpts as well! 

BSOM: How long have you been consciously creating art?

J: It's been about 8 years because although I've always enjoyed art, high school was when other people besides my family were able to see and appreciate what I created.


BSOM: Are you a self taught artist or did someone show you the ropes?

J: I would say that I am self taught but I did learn a lot of great things from my high school art teacher.


Self portrait

BSOM: How has your work developed through the years? Where did you start? Where are you now? Where do you see your art going?/Where do you want it to go?


J: In the beginning I feel that my paintings didn't show my true emotions. I don't think I had developed a sense of who I was as an artist and although I am still growing my art has become a part of me even when it is for someone else. I see my art evoking passion and bringing color to peoples lives when they need it the most. That's all  can ask of my art.



"Color Me Blind"

BSOM: How has your art changed over time? 


J: Over time my art has become an extension of my mind rather than just something I like to do.

BSOM: Do you have any other creative outlets?

J: Yes, I also love cooking, writing poetry and lyrics and singing.


BSOM: Where do you draw your inspiration from?

J: I draw inspiration from EVERYTHING! If I feel or see something that sparks my passion then that could turn into a painting. Art can be seen in any and everything it just all depends on how you choose to view it.



"Summer Chillin"

BSOM: Have you ever suffered from artist block? If so how did you get past it? 


J: When I have artist block I usually take a walk so that I can clear my mind and organize my thoughts. I usually have artist block when I am trying to hide emotions so when I relax my mind those emotions able to transfer into art.

BSOM: Does your art shape you? Or do you shape your art? (just want to hear your opinion)

J: I would have to say both because my experiences and feelings shape my art but the outcome of my paintings shapes me as a person.




BSOM: Do you create art more for yourself or for others to enjoy?

J: While I'm creating a piece it is for me but after I'm done I hope that someone else will be inspired from it. This is the case unless I am creating a commissioned piece then  I am creating the piece for someone else but it still has a piece of me in it.


BSOM: Is there a purpose to your artwork?

J: The purpose is to express myself while evoking emotions in others as well. 

BSOM: What's your favorite subject matter?

J: It changes but at the moment I would have to say that it has to be hair. Especially black women's hair. I love the diversity and lately I have been incorporating it in many of my paintings.


"Hidden Agendas"

BSOM: Are you currently working on any projects? If not, do you have anything in mind for your next piece?

J: I've been working on pieces that draw inspiration from different song lyrics that. I've done one based on a song from the band Pierce the Veil and one from a song by the singer India Arie.



"Tangled in the Great Escape"

BSOM: Have you sold any pieces, or would you be willing to sell any pieces?

J: I have sold a couple of pieces and would love for people to appreciate my art enough to buy it.


BSOM: What's been your favorite experience as an artist?

J: It has to be selling my first painting which was only about two months ago. For someone to ask me to create a piece for them meant the world to me.



Exhibiting her work! 

BSOM: Do you have a favorite art gallery?

J: My favorite has to be ArtWorks Studios in my hometown Richmond, VA. It's small but I feel so at home there.

Want to see more of Jessica's work + happen to live in the Richmond, VA area?! Her work is going to be exhibited in an upcoming show! Details below!


Tickets Can Be Purchased at:


Her work can also be found online + is for sale! Check out the links below for her contact info!


BIG thanks and shout out to Jessica for her contribution to this blog!! <3



Until next time friends...Cheers!!!

<3 Noonie