02 July 2014

Pão de Milho | Portuguese Corn Bread


My recent travels (which will unravel over the next few months) have inspired me to create new dishes and try my hand at different pastries.
First up on the chopping block? This delicious rustic Portuguese corn bread.
My new Portuguese friend was the one who recommended it and I couldn't be happier he did. 
As you can see I made 2 different types 1 with buckwheat flour and 1 with spelt flour. They came out very different from one another. The buckwheat didn't rise much but had the awesome cracking effect on top, it's very hardy and heavy. The spelt flour rose and got that beautiful golden brown color, also hardy but lighter than the buckwheat. Now traditionally you would make one large loaf, but I like to create more individually sized loaves. Plus, how cute are baby loaves?!



Directions:
1. Prep the yeast according to the package
2. Mix the cornmeal with sugar, salt, rum, and yeast.
3. Mix in the hot water stir, and let sit 5 minutes.
4. Mix in the yeast.
5. Slowly mix in the flour, a little at a time.
6. Form into bread balls, whatever size you like. I split this recipe into 4 loaves. 
Place on a floured surface to rise. The bread should get those cracks on the surface to make it look more rustic.
- You can let it rise anywhere from 1-12 hours. I'm impatient so mine tends to only last for 1 hour or so. But my Portuguese friend recommends 12 hours. 
7. Place bread on a greases cookie sheet, or flat surface, and bake for 20 minutes. 
- bake time will change depending on how large or small you make each loaf.
When golden brown it is ready to be removed. 
8. Remove from oven and enjoy!

Yield: 4 small loaves or 1 normal sized loaf.

Tips: Eat with olive oil, honey, and salt.
Nom nom nom