12 July 2014

Caramelized Leek + Avocado Cornbread


Over the past year or so I've been having digestive issues, this phenomena has led me to a wide range of research on what's best for digestion, stomach bacteria, good combinations, and so on and so on.... Needless to say at this point I feel as if I'm an expert on that terrainium that is our tummies. It is obvious that fruits and veggies are good for our tummies as well as ginger, but some lesser known fabulous foods for keeping your gut happy are olive oil, garlic, onion, fennel, fermented veggies, baking soda, mint, and leafy greens.

As this topic has been consuming my being I have decided to up my intake of onion, garlic, and olive oil; which (of course) had me brainstorming recipes to test out and share with you all. My first attempt was the Lemon Fennel Quinoarotto recipe from a few weeks back. Filled with lots of onions and fennel healthy and delicious.  My next challenge was what could I concoct for breakfast or snacks that would follow these same principles? And so the Carmelized Leek, Garlic, + Avocado Cornbread was born!

As an extra treat I cut them in 1/2 an topped with additional leeks and sea salt. They turned out so flavorful and delicious, and the best part is everythin is natural (and not that I'm into it, but...) and also gluten free!



Directions:
1. Caramelize 1/4 leek (mostly the white) + garlic.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350'
3. Mash the avocado.
4. In one bowl combine all the ingredients, I started with the dry ingredients, added leeks, oil, avocado, then water. However, I don't think the order matters much
5. Spray muffin tins (or use paper jackets) and fill with the mixture.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 350'
7. In the mean time caramelize the other 1/4 leek (mostly the green part) and use as topping for a fancy little snack.
8. Remove from oven + enjoy


Yield: 6 muffins or 1 small pan

Tips: They came out perfectly crumbly, I would add more water, egg, or applesauce to improve the consistency and make it more cakey if thats you're preference.
For a sweet version try my Banana Corn Muffins

Enjoy!
-Nelli