24 June 2014

Lemon Fennel Quinoarotto


Risotto, Risotto, Risotto, I love you!
So creamy, flavorful, filing, inventive, variety.... Need I go on? 
Risotto is often my go to "lazy chef" dinner, which usually gets the leftovers of whatever veggies I have around, and tonight was no exception.
I had a bunch of fennel and scallions and was trying to figure out how to use them all up; and while I usually create a more hearty risotto I figured this one would be a bit more "spring like" and boy it was! In the corse of my research I found a few people who'd made risotto with quinoa, and conveniently I had more quinoa than I had rice.... So this was an obvious experiment that had to happen.

This dish is going to be one of my go-tos from now on! I've already made it 2x this week. Yum yum yum!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Quinoa
1/4 bulb sliced Fennel
2 Scallion stalks
1/4 Lemon juice
Salt
Olive oil

Directions:
1. In a small pot sauté scallions + fennel in olive oil (10 minutes)
2. Add 1/4 cup quinoa, a little salt, + 1/4 cup water into pot and turn on high. When it begins to boil place the lid on top and reduce to a simmer. Set your timer for 15 minutes
3. Add water as needed (1/8-1/4 cup), stir, and set timer for 15 minutes.
4. The quinoa should be fully cooked (but if not repeat the water + another 10-15 minutes), add the juice of your lemon + olive oil + salt; stir + serve.

Serving: 1 portion
Tips: If you want it more lemon-y add the lemon juice earlier +/or add some lemon zest

Enjoy
-Nelli