07 August 2013

Tree to Table Peach Cobbler


The perfect summer dessert!


There are so many perks to the season of Summer: warm weather, Farmer's Markets, concerts in the park, and of course fresh fruit..specifically peaches!!

Lucky for me my step dad has a fruit tree orchard, and that sucker was filled with fruit just waiting to be picked! I initially went out there to pick some blackberries so I could made a blackberry pie. But alas, there were just not enough berries to make my pie, so I put a twist on the old proverb "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" and made it my own.

"When life doesn't give you enough blackberries to make a pie, you pick peaches instead and make a cobbler" -Noonie

This was the first year the tree has had ripe peaches on it, so it was quite the treat! I had my peaches, and now I just needed a recipe! I had never made home made peach cobbler so I hit the Internet for recipes.

I've always been one to follow recipes to the "T", but I couldn't find a peach cobbler recipe online that I really liked. So I did what I've never done before, I found 2 recipes for the cobbler and decided to combine the 2 and make my own!

The measurements are approximate, I just kind of "winged it" but the cobbler turned out amazing!


Gettin' my peaches prepped!


Dough after being mixed & milk added.


All ready for the oven!




Time lapse of the cobbler baking


Noonie's Peach Cobbler

Prep time: 20 minutes or so

Cooking time: 40-45 minutes

Servings: I personally cut a lot of the measurements down as I just wanted to make a smaller amount. So servings will vary.



Ingredients 

*6-8 Cups Peaches Peeled & Sliced
(I personally loved using fresh off the tree peaches. If you don't happen to have a peach tree I would suggest going to a local Farmer's Market and pick some up!)

*3/4-2 Cups Sugar

*2 T. Corn Starch

*1 t. Cinnamon (I personally am not a fan of cinnamon and didn't use any in my cobbler, but hey to each their own)

*1-1 1/2 Cups Flour

*2 t. Baking Powder

*1/2 t. Salt

*1-2 Cups Cold Unsalted Butter

*3/4-1 Cup Milk

*1/2 Cup Water

Directions:

1)Prep peaches and get your ingredients out and ready to use!

2) Preheat oven to 375.

3) Combine peaches, 1/4-3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and water in a saucepan. Mix, boil, and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.

4) While the peach mix is simmering get your dough ready! Stir 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar, flour, baking powder & salt. Slowly add the butter 1 cup at a time until you have course crumbs. Next add the milk until dough comes together.

Note: You don't want to overwork the dough, it should be sticky but manageable!

5) Melt 1/4-1/2 cup butter in the microwave or on the stove. Pour melted butter into a 2 Quart baking dish, be sure to butter the sides of the baking dish.

6)Add the hot peach mixture into the buttered baking dish.

7) Drop the dough using a tablespoon over the warm peaches.

Note: There can be gaps between the mounds of dough as the dough will puff up and fill in the gaps.

8) Sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon on top. The sprinkled sugar on top really gives the cobbler an over the top taste as it acts as a glaze..delicious!

9) Place the baking dish on top of a baking sheet (to prevent spills while baking).

10) Bake until the dough is brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 40-45 minutes.

11) Let the cobbler cool down a bit, but serve warm with or without some vanilla ice cream on the side.

Yum!! The dough recipe can be used for any type of cobbler your heart desires!

My step dad has a ton of ripe pears waiting to be eatin' so be on the look out for my next adventure in the kitchen! :)