18 June 2014

Apricot-Coconut Scones



There is nothing better than a fresh, well balanced scone.... Well any pastry for that matter. So today's experiment consists of apricots + coconut. Why you might ask? Because it's what was in my pantry and it sounded like a better combination than fig + coconut. I've been on this 'use the things in my cabinet' kick and so far they have been turning out wonderfully! I also like to research and use other bloggers recipes for inspiration, so for this recipe I combined the recipes from both of these bloggers:

My other new "thing" is making smaller batches of each experiment. I often end up with 40 muffins or 25 scones then I end up eating them all. And as delicious as they may be, I get tired of the same thing every day. So this recipe was for a more reasonable amount. I made 7 small scones, but you could also make 4 "normal sized" scones. 

I hope you enjoy!




Directions:
1. Mix together dry ingredients + coconut oil
2. Mix in apricots and coconut
3. Mix in coconut milk 1/2 at a time (so you can control how dry/wet they are. Mix until they are the desired consistency: form into a ball without being too wet.
4. Lay on wax paper or a floured surface. 
Form into a 1" thick flattened surface.
5. Cut into wedges and separate on the baking sheet.
6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (optional)
7. Preheat oven to 375'
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes
9. Prep the glaze: mix everything together until smooth. If you want to glaze the entire surface of the scones double or triple the measurements. 
10. Once removed: drizzle glaze on top of scones + sprinkle with shredded or toasted coconut. 

Yield: 7-8 small or 4 regular scones

Tips: go easy on the salt! I accidentally put too much salt in mine. I was able to add more glaze which masked the salt. But be careful. 

Enjoy!
- Nelli





And I gifted a few