16 May 2014

Spoken Word Poetry





"LeFou, I'm afraid I've been thinking, A dangerous pastime I know!"
- Gaston, Beauty and the Beast


While the quote is a silly childhood memory, the meaning behind it rings true.

We live in a world of our own making.
One in which we create everything, the earth, the air, the sun, the sky... This world is unique and different for each of us, yet we never recognize these differences.
We fight, we bicker, we laugh, we cry.
We find others who are like us, call them Democrats, call them Republicans.
We group, we coup, we charge on.

What is this world we live in?
Is it real, or is it a falsity of our imagination?
Do you really want to know the answer, or are we always seeking more.
Why not accept what is our fate, a destiny spent within our own minds.
A world in which we seek answers, and draw conclusions.
A world that is perfect in all its imperfections.
Why must we always question it, rather than enjoy being in the moment?

Thinking is dangerous.
It persuades us to escape from reality into our own perfect universe.
I can spend hours with myself, thinking, imagining, wishing, longing, dreaming.
Who is to say this world is not as real as the one outside my imagination?
I live just as much as a being within myself, as I do amongst the populous.

Today, I have been listening to spoken poetry and think I've fallen in love.
I began listening to Sarah Kay a few months back and again today.
I am in awe of how beautiful her words are, and the stories she shares.
I wonder if I am able to do the same, or if I am destined to be another amongst the crowd.
I want to know this beauty that she holds, this ability to make words come to life.



If interested, please watch her spoken word poetry below.
I promise you won't be disappointed.
http://www.kaysarahsera.com/