04 December 2013

Gobble! Gobble!


This photo does NOT do this
dessert justice! :)

Well Thanksgiving has come and gone but I did want to share my little Turkey day creation. It is the season for pumpkin recipes after all. This was my boyfriend and I's 3rd Thanksgiving together, and just like many couples out there we have a split, run around, kind of day as we wanted to spend the day together and with our families. As typical this year we got to lounge around in the morning and spend some time together before we headed off to his uncle and aunt's home in Folsom, dessert in tote. After a delicious meal and dessert we headed to my mom's for "Dessert Round 2", which included pumpkin and cherry pies, as well as this delicious ambrosia salad that my mom makes for every holiday. It's one of those "I don't feel right if I don't eat it on a holiday" type desserts, that I truly look forward to. After all that grubbin', it was of course right to bed when we arrived home later that night. All in all a good turkey day.

So back to that "Turkey day creation" aka "Layered Pumpkin Dessert" that I mentioned earlier. I knew I wanted to make some sort of dessert that incorporated pumpkin. I also knew I wanted to make a dessert that I had never eaten before, or seen at a holiday function, and this is where this awesome recipe comes into play. I initially found this recipe on Pinterest, it immediately caught my eye because not only did it look good, but it sounded out of this world! So without further adieu.....

Layered Pumpkin Dessert

Prep Time: 3-4 Hours
Bake Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

25 Ginger Snaps, finely crushed (1 1/3 Cup)
1/4 Cup Butter, melted
2 pkg. 8 oz. Cream Cheese,softened
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin
1/2 t. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 t. Ground Nutmeg
2 Eggs
2 pkg. Vanilla Instant Pudding
1 Tub Whipped Cream
1/2 Cup Pecans,chopped

Method:

Heat oven to 350
Mix cookie crumbs and butter, press onto bottom of 13x9 pan, bake 10 mins
Beat cream cheese and sugar with mixer until well blended
Add pumpkin and spices mix, then add eggs 1 at a time blend all well, pour onto crust
Bake for 30 mins, then cool for 1 hour
Beat pudding mixes and milk with whisk for 2 mins, stir in 1/2 of your whipped cream, spread over dessert
Spread remaining whipped cream on top and refrigerate 3 hours or until firm
Sprinkle with nuts before serving.


I didn't change the recipe much except when I made it I opted to use Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg as it contained both of these spices. The other thing I did do different was use a muffin tin instead of a 13x9 pan as I wanted to make individual servings, this really pumped up the dessert's appeal! This recipe was pretty straightforward and the dessert turned out delicious! 


Hope everyone had a nice Turkey day! Heerrreee comes Christmas!
Until next time..cheers!!!