22 November 2013

Queens | Worlds Fair Site


For a few years now I've been wanting to go to the Queens Museum and World Fair site (aka the Queens Globe, set of Iron Man...) and this past Saturday night I finally did!

I was meeting a friend for coffee when I was invited to the museums grand re-opening. Offered free booze, free admission, and the chance to check one off my bucket list; so of course I jumped on board!!!

We hopped on the 7 Line and made our way to Flushing Queens. Meeting up with a few other folks at the local "white folk" Mexican restaurant (which was quite good), we went on an adventure hike to find the museum. Wandering around Flushing was an experience in itself, it felt as though we were in Anywhere-Suburban USA. That was, until we saw the iconic "T" shaped structure "Terrace on the Park" and knew we were close. We, in our ultimate wisdom, listened to the boys who tried to take a shortcut through the restaurants humongous parking lot; instead we were fenced in and it took us 15 minutes to realize so. After more wandering through parks at night in the dark... we finally found it!

I spotted the museum first, and hadn't realized that the globe was behind the museum, as we approached I witnessed the iconic globe! Seeing it at night was spectacular! It was just as shiny, watery, and lit up as I had dreamed. The water feature was magnified with the lighting, what a beauty!
Once I soaked up all my excitement, I turned around and went into the museum.

While the museum itself was nice, I was a bit surprised at how small it is. The exhibits were intriguing, but the piece-de-resistance was the model of NYC (photos below). As a city planner I had been wanting to see this for years. The scaled model is huge. The museum built a room and plexiglass walkway around it. Building heights, street widths, mini airplanes, the lot of it!
One of my favorite features is the little plane that flies in and out of LaGuardia Airport. It's tied to a string and circles back and forth. Too damn cute!!!!

After the museum we made our way to Flushing (another first for me) for the best Chinese food I've had to date! Fried rice with egg and scallion, eggplant, spicy chicken, and shredded lamb galore! Plus Chinese beer, tea, and all the white rice you can muster!

I'm sad I didn't take any photos while in Flushing, but you can bet your backside I will be back soon!